Gas Price History Graph (historic prices)
Data from DOE's weekly survey ([#Sources]).
- See today's gas prices, use the free widget at the right ⇒.
- Prices in the graph are corrected for inflation.
- The 1981 gas-price spike happened during the biggest drilling boom ([#maybe]).
- More drilling means higher prices. Learn why.
- We're pumping more oil and selling more gasoline to ... find out who.
PopNotes Used Above
[=Sources] Recent weekly prices (year 2000 and after) for regular gasoline from U.S. Department of Energy (DOE )
Gas prices 1973-1999 from Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS )
Gas price before 1973 (annual) from DOE
Consumer price index from BLS - U.S. All items, 1982-84=100 - CUUR0000SA0
|[=maybe]They probably added oil rigs faster, but they were not as good as today's. (We're not sure because they didn't count oil and gas separately back then.)|