Energy and Climate Policy: Theory and Politics
- The greenest energy is conservation, and it's still cheapest -- cars top the list.
- Corn ethanol is not green, and cellulosic ethanol is not here yet.
- Solar energy is our best hope, but it's not here yet, so let's spend on reasearch not on roof-tops. (Awesome solar)
- Wind is stil much cheaper than solar -- but some of what is being built is very wasteful.
- Thorium reactors deserve a look -- were they nixed by the military?
- "Drill baby drill" benfits China, Europe and Japan as much as the U.S. And, we keep the polution.
- When OPEC raises the price of oil, Exxon makes billions — been that way for 35 years. Whose side are they on?
- Carbon sequestration has been happening at full scale for 15 years, and it's cheaper than offshore wind.
- Gasoline prices are set almost entirely by the world oil market and Bachman can't do a thing about it.
- Peak oil / gas / coal is not going to happen untill we're toast.
A strong global climate policy would slash our cost of foreign oil. Environmentalists, pay attention!
- The most effective climate policy by 50 times was OPEC's 1974-85 price spike.
- Kyoto failed because international cap and trade is a game that leads to fighting not cooperation. There's a far better game.
- An untax is better than cap and tax.
- By wasting other people's money environmentalists shoot themselve in the foot. Shop wisely for carbon abatement.
News: Domestic Weekly Summary